Manage Blood Sugar Balance
Blood sugar balance relates to the rate at which foods turn to glucose in the blood stream and how effective your cells are at taking in the glucose.
Stable blood sugar levels support consistent energy and mood. Erratic blood sugars can contribute to:
- Mood swings
- Weight gain
Tips for healthy blood sugar balance:
- Include a source of protein at each meal and snack. Choose from meat, fish, yoghurt/kefir, eggs, avocado, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, avocado, quinoa, tofu, tempeh, quality protein powders or collagen powder.
- Avoid low fat/low calorie
Low fat usually means high sugar. These foods are less satisfying, and are more likely to lead to cravings and weight gain.
- Be aware of alcohol.
Try to adopt mindful drinking. Order wine by the glass and think ahead how many glasses you will have. Alternate alcohol with sparkling water or alcohol free drinks. Ideally have alcohol with food, not on an empty stomach or snack on protein foods and vegetables (humus and veg sticks, or nuts), alongside alcohol to support the blood sugar response.
- Avoid fizzy drinks and fruit juices
- Choose whole fruits and vegetables.
Take Steps to Reduce Stress Hormones
Stress can have a big impact on peri-menopause and menopause symptoms. Stress can deplete certain nutrients and impact the production of oestrogen and progesterone in your body. Stress can also reduce sleep quality, increase anxiety, and contribute to hair loss. These are common peri-menopause symptoms that will be made worse by stress.
For many reasons such as elderly parents, teenage/young adult children and senior work positions, this can be one of the most stressful times of a women’s life. Often, we can’t take away the source of stress, but there are ways to limit the impact of stress on the body.
Tips to manage the impact of stress on hormones :
- Permission to relax.
Women are not generally good at relaxing when there is lots to do but you need to bring your stress hormones down. Give yourself permission to take at least an hour, twice a week to sit and relax.
- Try to take up a hobby or activity that is not related to family life, work or alcohol.
Join a book club, craft or walking group, try yoga or running for example.
- Increase your B Vitamins and magnesium. You will use up more of these when you are stressed but they are essential for energy.
- Consider an adaptogen supplement.
Adaptogens are traditional herbal remedies that support the nervous system and it is believed that they help to balance the cortisol response. I recommend Ashwagandha or an adaptogen blend such as Viridian Enhanced Rhodiola.
- Avoid using alcohol to manage stress. This is only a temporary solution and alcohol will make menopause symptoms worse by impacting liver function, reducing sleep quality, increasing inflammation and increasing anxiety.
Movement is vital and even more so now that the line between work and home has become blurred. We need movement to help structure our day, create endorphins, build muscle, support bone density and to support healthy sleep.
- A 15 to 20 minute walk outdoors before work. This has benefits that extends through the day into night time sleep.
- Find a weigh bearing activity that you enjoy – yoga, Pilates or a strength class
- Make your activity a non-negotiable part of your routine.
Nutritionist Recommended Supplements for Female Health
All of the recommendations here can be purchased at www.amaranth-wellbeing. For more advice and personalised suggestions contact the nutrition team at firstname.lastname@example.orgMagnesium : Sleep, calming, acts in the same way as Gaba, cellular energy, muscle, cofactor in neurotransmitter synthesis.
TerraNova Magnesium complex
Theanine. A precursor to Gaba to reduce feelings of anxiety
Viridian LTheanine and Lemon Balm
B Vitamins : To support the synthesis of feel good neuotransmitters – serotonin, melatonin, dopamine
Viridian High Five Multi B Complex with Magnesium Ascorbate
Menopause complex : A good menopause complex will include specific herbs including adaptogens, sage and phytoestrogens. B Vitamins and magnesium are also often included
Natures Plus Menopause Support, Viridian Menopause Complex, Supernova Women
Vitamin D : An essential vitamin that it is very difficult to get from food. Essential for Immune and bone health
Better You DLUX spray, Viridian D3 1000IU
Ashwagandha. An ‘adapotogen’ that supports the bodies resilience to stress and the nervous system.
Wild Nutrition KSM-66 Ashwagandha Plus
Omega 3. Essential to balance inflammation, for skin health and brain health. Consider a supplement if diet is low in oily fish, nuts and seed.
Bare Biology Life and Soul Daily capsules
Collagen, bone broth or a clean protein powder. For a protein boost, to support muscle metabolism, skin and joints and, to support blood sugar balance.
Planet Paleo Pure Collagen, Natures Plus Collagen Peptides
Menu ideas for Wellness, Sleep and Healthy Hormone Balance
- Smoothie blended with berries, milk or plant milk, a clean protein (Supernova Living) and collagen powder. Stir in mixed seeds.
- Sourdough toast with avocado
- Omelette with peppers or mushrooms
- Plain kefir or natural yoghurt with berries and mixed seeds
- Soup with beans, lentils or chicken
- Salad with leaves, other vegetables (beetroot, cucumber, peppers) and a source of protein – choose from chicken, fish, mixed beans, humus, goats cheese or feta cheese or avocado.
- Wholemeal pitta or wrap with lots of leaves and protein filling. Make the filling much greater than the bread portion.
- Leftovers. Extra veggie chilli, bolognaise or grilled fish make a perfect lunch the next day
For dressings use cold pressed avocado oil or olive oil, apple cider vinegar
- Grilled chicken or fish with steamed vegetables and baked sweet potatoes
- Mixed bean chilli with brown rice and salad
- Lentil dahl with spinach and brown rice
- Stir fry with prawns, chicken, vegetable and cashew nuts. Serve with cauliflower rice
For more ideas see Pauline Cox or Dale Pinnock cookbooks
- Oat cake with nut butter
- Banana with nut butter
- Small handful of mixed nuts with chocolate chips
Discover more with Personalised Nutrition
Book a free 15 minute health review for personalised nutrition and supplement suggestions. Find the link on the home page at www.amaranth-wellbeing.com or direct at https://calendly.com/amaranthwellbeing/free-health-review